When choosing a trade or profession, there are a lot of factors to consider.
- You want to choose something you’re interested in and something which will provide you with job security and good pay.
- But you also want to make sure that it’s a field with a future.
Is masonry a good trade? Masonry is considered a good trade because of the high demand, earning potential, and ease of entry.
The masonry trade is the construction of buildings from individual units, which are often laid in and bound together by mortar.
- The common materials of masonry construction are brick, and building stones such as marble, granite, limestone, cast stone, concrete block, glass block, and adobe.
- Masonry is generally a highly durable form of construction.
The Pros of Masonry
Masonry is a field with a lot of growth potential.
- The demand for masons has been increasing in recent years because more and more people are renovating their homes and businesses.
- And as the population continues to grow, so too will the demand for masons.
Another plus is that masonry is a trade that you can learn while you earn.
- Many apprenticeship programs will allow you to earn money while learning the craft.
- And once you’re certified, there’s no limit to how much money you can earn.
Pro-Tip: Check out Apprenticeships.gov to find local apprenticeships in your area.
Experienced masons can start their own businesses. Masonry business owner salaries can be in the 6 figures.
The Cons of Masonry
Of course, there are also some drawbacks to consider before deciding if masonry is the right trade for you. One thing to keep in mind is that it’s a physically demanding job.
If you’re not comfortable working long hours on your feet, then masonry may not be the best fit for you.
Another potential downside is that it can be difficult to find work during the winter months as most construction occurs during the year’s warmer months.
This means you may need to find seasonal employment to make ends meet during the winter.
Who Should Become a Mason
Overall, it’s a great idea to enter the masonry trade if you’re interested in the field and are physically able to do the work.
- Masonry can be a great choice if you like to be creative in crafting ideas and working with your hands.
- You’ll have the opportunity to work on various projects, from minor repairs to large installations.
Community connection is also something that comes along with being a mason. You’ll get to know other masons in your area and build relationships with the people you work with.
As with any trade or profession, there are pros and cons to consider before making your decision. But overall, masonry is a good trade with a lot of growth potential.
If you’re interested in learning more about this trade, we encourage you to research apprenticeship programs in your area to start learning while earning.